More photos: Polar Inertia, pring 2013
BIRD FEEDERS and birdhouses are a common sight in Finland. By providing food to the birds, people help them to survive until the spring. Commercial products have to compete with DIY models.
More photos: Polar inertia, spring 2012
IN THE CAPITAL HELSINKI, you can find carpet racks adjacent to apartment blocks, single and multi-family homes and even the Cathedral. These simple and sturdy constructions have been installed for decades in front yards and backyards in the city center as well as the suburbs. Paradoxically enough, while carpet racks have become part of the outdoor furniture, as it were, they tend to pass unnoticed due to their ubiquity.
Vaikka pihoilta kantautuva piiskauksen pauke on vuosien saatossa vähentynyt, on mattotelineitä suomessa pystyssä edelleen erittäin paljon. Ne ovat juurtuneet osaksi suomalaista kaupunkimaisemaa, jääden paradoksaalisesti silti yleisyytensä ja arkisuutensa vuoksi lähes huomaamattomiksi.
Dokumentoidessani mattotelineitä ympäri Helsinkiä huomasin näitä yksinkertaisia ja vankkoja rakennelmia pystytetyn vuosikymmenestä toiseen niin keskustan, esikaupunkien kuin lähiöidenkin sisä- ja takapihoille, joskus aivan vieri viereen. Helsingissä mattotelineitä on kerros-, rivi- ja omakotitalojen, jopa kirkkojen ja yritysten yhteydessä. Niitä seisoo kallioilla, metsien reunassa ja nurmikoilla sekä asfalttipihoilla roskapönttöjen, autojen, pyörätelineiden ja kukkaistutusten keskellä. Mikäli varustustasoon kuuluu keinuja, pyykkitelineitä tai porraskaiteita, ne on usein maalattu saman värisiksi kuin mattoteline. Mattotelineet ovat myös kotitöiden ja suomalaisten puhtauskäsitysten monumentteja. (Ydin 2012:1)
TITRES-SERVICES is a service set up by the Belgian government to fight illegal black work among the housekeeping industry. People can hire a housekeeper from an accredited company for household chores. Inside the home: cleaning, laundry and ironing, preparation of meals, small sewing repairs. Outside the home: shopping errands, ironing and sewing elsewhere, driving elderly or handicapped people in official transport. I have been documenting the Titres-Services’ advertising since 2011 (Ydin 2013)
More photos: Polar inertia, winter 2014
THERE ARE MORE than a hundred self-service laundries in Brussels. Four large chains occupy roughly a half of the market, and the rest is shared by scores of independent operators. The non-staffed, self-service approach definitely rules. Launderettes are interesting in their minimalism. They are fully automated and coin or token operated. From a legal perspective they are private spaces, but they feel like public spaces such as waiting rooms at bus or railway stations. For security reasons, visibility inside the launderette is always kept unfettered. These places suggest that self-regulation only works when there is very little to regulate.
More information here (published also in French).
A growing collection of these beauties here.
CALL SHOPS AND SMALL INTERNET SHOPS are a modern example of a phenomenon where entrepreneurs, whose position need not differ greatly from the working class, meet the needs and preferences of a global, often very poor labor force. They are holdouts against the megamarths, and reflect the background, personal style and wealth of their owners.
Call shops have been presented e.g. at the University of Turku, conference & exhibition Street Life 2011.
More information here.
The Yellow Hose
Brussels 5.1.2007 (1st shot)
I FIRST NOTICES this call shop "Publique Phone" in the very beginning of 2007, struck by its facade dominated by a long looping yellow hose shielding, for what it is worth, electrical wiring. The carelessly installed yellow hose looked both interesting and amazing, so I took a picture of this installation, which I at first thought of as temporary, and started to follow the situation. The call shop was closed at latter half of the year 2009.
This case study has been presented at the Superfront Gallery, West Hollywood, group exhibition Unplanned, 2010.
More information here.
The Stone Road
J'aime la richesse des scènes de rue à Bruxelles. Si l'on se donne la peine de bien observer, on trouve encore un nombre étonnant de scènes désuètes. Les flux démographiques qui les accompagnent marguent la population de la ville. Mes note de terrain sont une manière de les scruter.
I like the richness of the street scenery in Brussels. Many of even the older periods are still surprisingly present in Brussels, if you care to notice them, and the attendant demographic fluxes mark the population of the city. These photos and my field notes are a way of caring to notice.
I TOOK THE PICTURES during a photography workshop The Stone Road (teacher: Els Dietvorst) in Brussels. The mission was to explore the road, inhale the atmosphere and document the impressions. Chaussée de Mons – Bergensesteenweg is a very long street. I started my walk from the Porte de Anderlecht (number 9) and ended it a little after Ikea (number 1432).
The photo story has been presented at De Markten, KunstenFESTIVALdesarts, Brussels, group exhibition N6, 2009.
The whole story here: (PDF-file, 9 mt)
I AM ALWAYS struct by the ways in which small businesses interact with their clients, but also with their environment and the world at large. Their signs, displays, decorations, and goods take you to Asia, Africa, the Americas, the Near East, and Eastern and Western Europe.
This is an ongoing project.
Eurosigns Around The World
THE EUROSIGNS photo project analyses the individual meanings and the overall impact of Europe/European Union related representations.
The project has been exhibited at The Whitworth Art gallery, Manchester, group exhibition Glogal Imaginaries (2009) and during The City Walking Bazaar, Cass Business School, University of London, 2013.
This is an ongoing collective project. If you want to get more information or join the Eurospotters, go here.
Group exhibitions & Cooperation
- Subjective Atlas of Brussels (forthcoming)
- Glitch art is dead, Gamut gallery, Minneapolis, USA (March-April 2017)
- Kivinokan kioskin elämää, Virka-galleria, Helsinki (November 2016-February 2017), Ravintola Wellamo, Helsinki (February-April 2017)
- Vos Images - Bruxelles, Galerie Verhaeren, Brussels (December 2016)
- Call shop photos, Post Internet Cafe, Print Room, Rotterdam (August-September 2016)
- Glitch work, Fubar multimedia event, Galleria Siva, Zagreb, Croatia (September 2016)
- Fiber amulets, Street Art festival, Surface Gallery, Nottingham (July 2016)
- Cardboard Call Shop, Craft the City by Pop in Craft, Library@Orchad, Singapore (October-November 2015)
- Night flowers, photography, Hei Helsinki, Kukkanäyttely, Kiseleffin talo, Helsinki, Finland (May-June 2015)
- Collages, Crossing bo(a)rders, Galaxie skateshop northside, Cincinnati, USA (January-February 2015)
- Out The Window. Photographic journey around the world (January 2015)
- Night flowers, photography, Paviljonki festival, The Infinite Circle: Death and Rebirth, Entropy & Unicorns on Speed, Hietsun Paviljonki, Helsinki, Finland (November 2014)
- Minirug, The Roadside Museum, FYC Gallery, Brimingham, UK (September-October 2014)
- Knitted balaclava, Knitters needed, Broomberg & Chanarin 2014
- Food collage, Edible matters, Culturally Brewed Representation and Identity, Tad-Gallery, Denton, Texas, USA (August-September 2014)
- Self portrait, photography, Suomen valokuvaterapiayhdistyksen 10-vuotisvalokuvanäyttely Self portrait extended, Köysiratagalleria, Turku, Finland (June 2014); Kuntoutusalan kirjasto, Helsinki (September, October 2014); Näsimentor, Tampere (November 2014); Kankaanpään opisto (December 2014)
- Parking place holders (supplementary material), photography, Karel Verhoeven, Anything can b_a car, Vitrine 21 Recyclart, Brussels, Belgium (April 2014)
- Night flowers, photography, Mänköö vuan, Kiuruveden kulttuuritalo, Kiuruvesi, Finland (April 2014)
- Urban photos, photography, Future Landscapes, Project Gallery, Toronto, Canada (March-April 2014)
- Origami collages, Anna uus elu, Give a New Life, Recycling exhibition, Uue Kunsti Muuseum / The Museum of New Art, Pärnu, Estonia (March-April 2014)
- Manipulated knittings, photography, Textile photography Exhibition, Photos in video installation by Kalopsia collective, Ocean Terminal, Edinburgh, UK (February-March 2014)
- Textile work, Patch, Voyage, voyages, Festival de textil, L' Aiguille en fete, Paris; Le festival du lin, Veules-les-Roses, France (February, June 2014)
- Object Abuse, Spinach, London, UK (December 2013)
- Call Shop, photography, Phone Box International Mail Art Exhibition, The British Telecommunication Box by the Swimming Pool, Sigean, France (June 2013)
- Urban sceneries, photography, Levisburg Literary Festival, Literary Laundry Room, Levisburg, USA (August 2013)
- Fiber art, In Your Face, F6Halle, Augsburg, Germany (April 2013)
- Collage, Art postale. Akademie der Künste Berlin Dermany, (August-December 2013)
- Yarn work & photography, Ceci n’est pas un livre, Koninklijke Bibliotheek van België, Brussels, Museum Night Fever, (March-September 2013)
- Collage, Anna uus elu - Give a New Life, Recycling exhibition, Uue Kunsti Muuseum / The Museum of New Art, Pärnu. Estonia (March-April 2013)
- Office life, photography, Toinen sosiologinen taidenäyttely, Odottamattomat seuraukset, Publicum, University of Turku, Finland (March 2013)
- Clouds, photography, Collective work The "Barter. Pictures of blue sky wanted" by Teresa Leung, Fotanian, Open studio event, Hong Kong (January 2013), Lingnan university, visual department, Hong Kong (April-September 2014)
- Swimming pool, Photography, Carnem Collective Opera, Carnem Night #3, La Fabbrica del Vapore, Milan, Italy (January 2013)
- Collage, Postcard patchwork, Worcester Arts Workshop, Clik-Clik collective, Worcester, UK (November 2012)
- Night flowers, photography, Poze 4.Terminus, Summer of Photography, Bozar - Paleis voor Schone Kunsten, Brussels, Belgium (June-September 2012)
- Yarn bombing, Knit' n' Tag, Solidaarisuussilmukat, Vanha kirkkopuisto, Helsinki, Finland (August-September 2012)
- Collage, dATAdADA, artists' house, Harakka island, Helsinki, Finland (August 2012)
- Textile work & photography, Electronic embroidery, Camp Pixelache, Helsinki, Finland (May 2012)
- Origami collages, Ilmaista hupismia, Galleria Akkuna, Lasipalatsi, Helsinki, Finland (May 2012)
- Street faces, photography, In your face, Streetart, Kesselhaus, Augsburg, Germany (March 2012)
- My dinner, Photography, The Meal, Documenting a Global Snack, Brooklyn Art Library, New York, USA (April 2012)
- Call shops in Brussels, poster & photography, Street Life, University of Turku, Finland (July 2011)
- Winter in Helsinki, Photography, Hupismi, Galleria Akkuna, Lasipalatsi, Helsinki, Finland (May 2011)
- Photography, Yllätysten sosiologia, Sosiologinen taidenäyttely, University of Tampere, Finland (March 2011)
- Snapshots, photography, M u t a ç ã o, online exhibition (2010)
- Yellow hose -follow up, photography, Unplanned, Superfront, Los Angeles, US (March-July 2010)
- My friends house, photography, The Photographers Gallery, online exhibition An idea of Home (2009-2011)
- Snapshots from Brussels, Photography, Multi media comptetition, Finnish Seamen's Mission, Brussels, Belgium (2008)
- Photography, Weather Photos, Zendai MoMA 欢迎中国地区的朋友們加入! Shanghai, China (2008)
Photos in Publications
- World Maps as Advertisements of Global Communications, Please Hold -magazine, theme: Maps, (Summer 2016)
- Winter journey by train, Matter Journal, theme: Nomad, Wolverine Farm (forthcoming 2017)
- Ein Magazine #3, Autumn People will Laugh (2013)
- Focus Letters (2011)
- Vending Machines. Coined Consumerism (2010)
- Unplanned. Research and Experiments at the Urban Scale (2010)
- Kasvatus ja Aika (2010-)
- Ydin (2009-)
- Book for Fiji (2009)
- Media and Urban Space (2008)
- Identiteetit liikkeessä (2007)
- Tervetuloa Belgiaan (2006)